Python for Physics and Astronomy
The Python programming language is a widely used tool for basic research and engineering. Its rapid rise in popularity is supported by comprehensive, largely open-source, contributions from scientists who use for their own work. This short course offers an introduction to Python with examples drawn from physics and astronomy.
The topics covered are --
- Why program? Choosing a language.
- Simple Python
- Data types: numbers and strings
- Lists, tuples, and statements
- Assignments and flow control
- Matplotlib and graphics
- Computing with Numpy, Scipy and Scikit
- Handling astronomical FITS files with Pyfits